Saturday, April 9, 2016

His Grace Makes Me Right

Photo created by author
Do you ever struggle with pride? I admit it,  I struggle with pride, even though I know, know, know it's wrong! Many commentators say that pride is the original sin, the one that got Satan kicked out of heaven: he thought was better than God, and wanted glory for himself.

You know when I seem to struggle with pride the most? I find it's when I have been especially insecure: unsure of my abilities and down on myself. And my flesh thinks it needs an ego boost: a way to feel better about myself. What does it sound like? It is a swarmy, tempting voice whispering: 
  • you're better than her
  • you're so smart -- you deserve to be praised
  • you're so righteous -- better than those Christians over there
  • look at you, with all your talents
Do you ever hear that voice? So many times have I heard that voice, and often pray to God to rescue. I don't want pride in my life, but how do I escape? 

These verses spoke especially strongly this morning to me, about pride:

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight...For all have sinned,  and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus...Where is boasting then? It is excluded.

Romans 3:20a, 23-24, 27a

We can never be justified, in our own strength. We can never be good enough, without Him. Our own greatness is never really that great. 

Please, O God, remind me that I do not have to be better than anyone else, because we are all sinners saved by grace. Wrap me in your grace, so that pride's voice cannot even reach me.




1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe